Re: Permission issue after system restore

On 11/10/10 04:38, Matthew Mondor wrote:
On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 08:20:14 +0100
Jens Rehsack<rehsack%googlemail.com@localhost>  wrote:

after restoring my system after file system crash I have one issue remaining
which I can't (lack of knowledge) fix on my own:

Sorry, overseen this reply

How did you backup and restore the files?  If using pax, tar or rsync
there are options to preserve file modes/permission bits, ownership etc.
For instance, tar when creating an archive will store that information
by default, but at extraction the -p flag must be supplied to apply
archive-stored permissions to the extracted files.

I used a simple "tar xf /path/to/backup.tar" - no special options.
Good to know that I managed into it by not preparing myself good enough.

You also have to make sure that your group and user IDs correspond to
those on the old system (/etc/group and vipw to edit /etc/*passwd*).

It were the old system with an unmodified (because not impacted) "/"
file system. I only had to backup/newfs/restore /usr and /var.

The mtree files are indeed also supposed to hold the default file
permissions, and I think that it can run through files and restore
permissions, however I have no experience with it personally.

Do I have to look for something special? I don't want to run in a
complete unusable system because I made a second fault.

Best regards,
Jens