Re: remove external/lib/Makefile and crypto/external/lib/Makefile

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 07:04:33PM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
>   | The attached patch implements all of the above, and reduces complexity in
>   | compat/compatsubdirs.mk (since a SUBDIR to lib catches all the libraries)
>   | and I've cross built mips64eb, mips64el, sparc64 and amd64 releases to
>   | make sure it all works
>
> The existing build order in external/lib/Makefile (and other places)
> has explicit .WAIT points to force inter-library dependency barriers
> during the build.  At first glance it's unclear whether your changes
> fully retain this behaviour; I think they do, but I'm not sure.

Unless there are hidden dependencies (ie, depends when found but silently
carries on otherwise) then yes, the changes fully retain that behaviour..
perhaps its not obvious from the patch but there are insertions into a
couple of sections and while I no doubt do not use every library in the
list, my system (i386) is running ok since last week without complaint

in fact I believe there may still be more .WAITs in lib/Makefile than are
properly required, but I can look at reducing them afterwards.

iain