Re: Fwd: installing NetBSD/amd64-current on a ThinkPad X201

On 16 May 2010 20:53,  <bch%methodlogic.net@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 04:42:07PM +0200, Pouya D. Tafti wrote:
[re Intel HD Graphics support]
>> While I'm waiting for the laptop to arrive (I was told the delay is
>> due to volcanic ash), would there be any chance that you could provide
>> a dmesg? ÂI'm wondering how much effort would be needed to add support
>> for this adapter. ÂIn my na??ve (and wishful) thinking, I'm hoping that
>> it will work with a minimally updated agp_intel.c together with a
>> recent x86-video-intel driver for modular X.Org.
>
> That would be nice.

My simplistic idea cannot work because recent xf86-video-intel drivers
require kernel mode-setting, which the NetBSD kernel does not support
at present.  (OTOH, after installing NetBSD I experimented with a
couple of recent Linux distros and none of them seemed to support HD
Graphics either, even though it is supposedly supported by recent
Linux kernels).

Pouya