Re: XTerm warnings (was: Strange sshd behaviour)

On Wed 03 Mar 2010 at 23:56:42 +0100, Rhialto wrote:
> So I removed the corresponding line from my .Xresources.

Some more experimenting showed that now the problem for UTF-8 locales is
back. Fortunately I hardly ever use them, but still.

Looking in -current xterm sources, I came across the idea that appending
"@im=none" to the locale string might help. The -current source tries to
do that automatically, but for 5.0 that code either isn't there yet, or
it doesn't work.

So this:

    $ LC_CTYPE=nl_NL.UTF-8@im=none xterm

(LC_CTYPE being the only locale variable set, and no openIM in
.Xresources)

gives me no error message, no delay, an xterm in utf-8 mode, and a
working compose key.

What doesn't work is the output of the "locale" command; apparently many
programs are confused by the "@im=none" part, even though it appears to
be a standard. For instance, there is a directory
/usr/share/locale/en@boldquot. Nevertheless, inside the shell in the
xterm it may be needed to adjust some locale variables. This is not
fully satisfying yet.

The mapping of the compose key is probably taken from one of the
/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/locale/<locale>/Compose files, probably determined by
the compose.dir file there.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.