Re: Memory file systems

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:36:04 -0500
Chris Ross <cross+netbsd%distal.com@localhost> wrote:

>    My basic question is, why are there both mfs and tmpfs, what are
> the pro's and con's of each, and which (if either) is likely to
> receive more support/attention in the future?

A main difference if I understand, is that mfs uses a backend closer to
a disk file system and can also be tied to kernel images using
mdsetimage.  mfs also has size restrictions defined at configuration
time.

tmpfs on the other hand might theoretically grow in size more
gracefully and provide enhanced performance, but I honestly didn't try
tmpfs much myself...
--
Matt