Re: Removing debugging symbols from kernel modules

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 03:09:01PM +0100, Nicolas Joly wrote:

> > You need to disable the eh_frame section as well.
>
> Not sure what to do, here ... I checked that debug build does not
> alter that section.

The eh_frame is present (by default) in all amd64 builds.
It gets used for C++ exceptions as well as generating stack traces.
For demand-paged executables it only costs disk space, but since it
is used for exceptions it is loadable (readonly) and cannot be removed
by strip (etc).

We should really be compiling the kernel and modules (and any userspace
that need to be 'tiny') with the gcc flag that disables the eh_frame section.
(As the linux kernel is compiled.)

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost