Re: PAE and i386 kernel

On Oct 6, 2009, at 11:36 41AM, Brook Milligan wrote:

Matthias Scheler writes:
Out of interest:
What do you hope to get from NetBSD/i386 PAE in comparison to NetBSD/amd64?

I have some older machines that will handle more than 4Gb memory but
from what I understand the CPUs will not run amd64 (missing EM64T
support; see below).  Am I understanding the requirements for amd64
correctly?

If you can, boot a 5.0 install disk and look at its dmesg output -- I was told a few months ago that 4.0 doesn't properly decode the feature flags involved in the EM64T bit...