Re: Tracking -current + modules

On Sun, 17 May 2009, Stathis Kamperis wrote:

> So, my main concern is how to build and install the modules. I saw
> some recent threads regarding this topic
> (eg, integration with build.sh), but I could settle with "manual"
> commands as well.

I did this just fine last week. The best thing to do is build a release
first, then you can install them manually:

# cd /var/obj/destdir.i386
# cp usr/mdec/boot /usr/mdec/boot
# cp -R stand /
# cp sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC/netbsd /netbsd

and reboot.

The new second stage boot will work with the old kernels I believe, so you
could reboot before installing the new kernel if you wished. I also had a
5.0 install CD handy too, but I didn't need it.

I always liked to stress a new kernel before updating userland so I empty
/var/obj and build a release again to be sure it works fine before
installing it.

I tried a -current kernel a couple of months ago and found some problems
but nearly everything is working fine here now and I haven't updated
packages yet. (only Pine dumped core but I rebuilt it and it was better)

iain