Re: "loopback mount" via vnd feature request

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> Well we need to fix this at some point. There is the namei cache hack
> vnode_to_path for now, that will give you a path to the vnode if one
> exists, but we need to add a more reliable reverse lookup.

I don't know much about that, but reverse lookup is broken by design is it
not? (many files can point to the same inode)

Is it possible for vnconfig to encode the pathname of the file that it has
configured into the 'boot block' or some such of the vnd? (I vaguely think
of CD 'title' fields) or provide the file name via a sysctl, or some kind
of ioctl to recover the name..?

alternatively, instead of configuring it in a two stage manner as
currently seems to be required (?)

  # vnconfig vnd0 image.iso
  # mount -t cd9660 /dev/vnd0 /mnt

make some kind of "vnode" mount option with a cloner device

  # mount -t cd9660 -o vnode /tmp/image.iso /mnt

so that the configured filename can appear in the mount point?

  # mount
  /tmp/image.iso on /mnt type cd9660 (vnode, rdonly, local)

iain
(no, I have no idea how to make it work :)