pxeboot: heap full?

Has there been a regression in PXE bootstrap?

I am trying to PXE boot a kernel.  pxeboot_ia32.bin fails, printing

heap full (0x137e8+2055051)

The decimal number to the right of the plus sign is the size of my
(gzipped) kernel, in decimal.  So it looks as if pxeboot tries to
reserve space on the heap for the kernel, which fails.  If I am
not mistaken, these flags in the pxeboot Makefile reserve only
128kB for the heap:

        SAMISCCPPFLAGS+= -DHEAP_START=0x10000 -DHEAP_LIMIT=0x30000

That seems like an extraordinarily small heap, if a kernel is
supposed to fit in there.

FWIW, I have a pxeboot_ia32.bin from April 2006 that successfully
loads and runs the same kernel.

Dave