Re: Can't boot a MODULAR kernel

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 2:37 AM, Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton%gmx.net@localhost>
wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 02:06:56PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:05:27PM +0000, Ari Constancio wrote:
>> > (...)
>> > From src/UPDATING,
>> >
>> > # cd /usr/src/sys/modules
>> > # ../../../tools/bin/nbmake-i386
>> > # ../../../tools/bin/nbmake-i386 install
>> > # cp /usr/obj/destdir.i386/usr/mdec/boot /boot     (seems to be more
>> > current than /usr/mdec/boot)
>> > (...)
>>
>> It looks like you haven't installed any kernel modules. Something like:
>>
>> cd src/sys/modules
>> export TOOLDIR=foo
>> export OBJDIR=foo
>> make
>> make install
>
> It looks as if he did. But he installed to DESTDIR, not to /. Or
> it least so it looks to me. So maybe he should look into
> /usr/obj/destdir.i386 and simply copy the stand directory found
> there to /.
>
> Then later he (Ari) wrote:
>> Thanks Sverre and Martin for the replies.
>>
>> I'm restarting the build, but I have to ask: how are you guys doing
>> the modules installation?
>
> First of all I didn't want modules. So I've compiled my kernel
> tested it the good old way -- dropped just the kernel in /. I had
> options MODULAR removed. Lateron I did an install as usual with
> build.sh ... install=/ after a successful build and that left me
> with /stand/i386 populated although I didn't ask for it. It's a
> pity I'm a target of F.U.D. and thus do not dare to remove /stand/i386
> again. Also I wonder in the meantime whether I dreamt a successful
> non-modules boot. I figure it's something like IPv6 which, too, is
> so invasive that you cannot rip it out and still have a somewhat
> working system. Or whatever else is the reason for installing
> /stand/i386/<stuff> for a non-MODULAR kernel. I've given up swimming
> against the stream.
>
> -Martin

Hi,

I appreciate all replies.

I'll try again tomorrow (machine at $WORK).
Forgive my 'noob' factor, but I'm a bit surprised to be alone in
asking these questions, and I really do want to understand the
process.
Given that the change to modular kernels is a rather recent one (and
not being an experimental feature), more thorough documentation or
automation through ./build.sh are a must IMO.

Cheers,
Ari Constancio