Re: Can't boot a MODULAR kernel

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 02:06:56PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:05:27PM +0000, Ari Constancio wrote:
> > (...)
> > From src/UPDATING,
> >
> > # cd /usr/src/sys/modules
> > # ../../../tools/bin/nbmake-i386
> > # ../../../tools/bin/nbmake-i386 install
> > # cp /usr/obj/destdir.i386/usr/mdec/boot /boot     (seems to be more
> > current than /usr/mdec/boot)
> > (...)
>
> It looks like you haven't installed any kernel modules. Something like:
>
> cd src/sys/modules
> export TOOLDIR=foo
> export OBJDIR=foo
> make
> make install

It looks as if he did. But he installed to DESTDIR, not to /. Or
it least so it looks to me. So maybe he should look into
/usr/obj/destdir.i386 and simply copy the stand directory found
there to /.

Then later he (Ari) wrote:
> Thanks Sverre and Martin for the replies.
>
> I'm restarting the build, but I have to ask: how are you guys doing
>

> the modules installation?

First of all I didn't want modules. So I've compiled my kernel
tested it the good old way -- dropped just the kernel in /. I had
options MODULAR removed. Lateron I did an install as usual with
build.sh ... install=/ after a successful build and that left me
with /stand/i386 populated although I didn't ask for it. It's a
pity I'm a target of F.U.D. and thus do not dare to remove /stand/i386
again. Also I wonder in the meantime whether I dreamt a successful
non-modules boot. I figure it's something like IPv6 which, too, is
so invasive that you cannot rip it out and still have a somewhat
working system. Or whatever else is the reason for installing
/stand/i386/<stuff> for a non-MODULAR kernel. I've given up swimming
against the stream.

-Martin