Re: recent kernels can't identify root filesystem type

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 03:26:44PM +1300, Mark Davies wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> > Nobody seems to be piping up with similar reports.  I assume the
> > problem is not particularly general; something specific to
> > MULTIBOOT via grub at least, or more specific to me somehow.  So,
> > no great urgency :)
>
> Actually I'm probably seeing this. I've just been trying out -current

And I'm seeing a variant of it.  The trick is that it doesn't happen
every time.  For some reason, while booting the EeeBox, there will be
something happening with the interrupts every once in a while.  I can't
really tell more, because when it happens I can't type anything with
the USB keyboard;  but the cursor is flashing at a very high rate.

The thing is, when that happens, all the hardware seems to be found,
except it will happen a lot slower than a normal boot, and in the end
the kernel cannot mount the root file system.

I've never seen it happen with a kernel older than 5.99.3, but that
doesn't mean a lot, as I rarely reboot it, and I usually never have the
USB keyboard in, but rather a bluetooth one.

Could there be some timing issue?

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost