recent kernels can't identify root filesystem type

All of the kernels I've built in the past 4-5 days fail to mount root
properly after booting.  They identify the root filesystem type as
msdos, and can't load init. If I boot -a and explicity tell it to use
ffs, then things proceed correctly.

This is a non-MODULAR i386 kernel, with MULTIBOOT being loaded by
grub.  I suspect maybe some of the recent changes for loading
filesystems as modules with the kernel are making assumptions that
don't hold in this case.

Anyone else seeing similar?

--
Dan.