Re: HSDPA connexion for the dummies ?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 02:10:59PM +0100, Joel Carnat wrote:

> The modem is blinking blue.

Blue is good, that means 3G, if it blinks green then the modem has
failed back to GSM (from what I understand).

> I have /dev/ttyU0 and /dev/ttyU1 but no /dev/ucom*.
>
> # pppd

I just finished grappling with the ppp set up with the built in Sierra
3.5G wireless I have in my laptop.  One thing I did find is that if
the access point you are trying to talk to is not the first one on the
list then you need to specify it in the dial code.  You can find out
what entries are in the table by connecting to the modem (I use
kermit, but cu or tip will work) and issue the command:

at+cgdcont?

This should give you a list something like this:

+CGDCONT: 1,"IP","vfinternet.au","",0,0
+CGDCONT: 2,"IP","3netaccess","",0,0
+CGDCONT: 3,"IP","internet","",0,0
+CGDCONT: 4,"IP","telstra.internet","",0,0
+CGDCONT: 5,"IP","telstra.datapack","",0,0

You need to find the right APN in that list, it should be the one that
worked for you when you used the wireless interface under windows.
For me, I need to use telstra.datapack.  I have a peer in
/etc/ppp/peers called telstra_wireless, it contains:

-detach
/dev/ttyU0
460800
idle 7200
lock
crtscts
modem
noauth
defaultroute
user Anyname
password Anypassword
noipdefault
usepeerdns
novj
debug
ipcp-accept-remote
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -t6 -f
/etc/ppp/peers/telstra_wireless_chat'

(note the no_auth and then the username/password - I am not sure if I
need both, the other end accepts the username and password anyway so
it does not hurt in my case)

and /etc/ppp/peers/telstra_wireless_chat contains:

# Connection script for Sierra Wireless GSM/UMTS modems
# Note: This demo script is setup to work on the Cingular EDGE network
#
SAY 'Starting Sierra Wireless GSM connect script...\n'
SAY '\n'

#######################################
SAY 'Setting the abort string\n'
SAY '\n'
# Abort String ------------------------------
ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT DELAYED

#######################################
SAY 'Initializing modem\n'
# Modem Initialization
'' AT
OK ATZ

#######################################
SAY '\n'
SAY     'Setting APN\n'
# Access Point Name (APN)
# Incorrect APN or CGDCONT can often cause errors in connection.
# Below are a bunch of different popular APNs

#REG:\s1 AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"
#OK     'AT+CGDCONT=0,"IP","proxy"'
#OK     'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","proxy"'
#OK     'AT+CGDCONT=2,"IP","proxy"'
#OK     'AT+CGDCONT=0,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"'
#OK     'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"'
#OK     'AT+CGDCONT=2,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"'
OK     'AT+CGDCONT=5,"IP","telstra.datapack"'

#######################################
SAY '\n'
SAY     'Dialing...\n'
# Dial the ISP, this is the common Cingular dial string

OK ATD*99***5#
CONNECT ''

The things to note here are the setting of the APN (AT+CGDCONT....)
and the dial command (ATD*99....) - the 5 in there is to select APN
number 5 from the list for dialing.  Until I did this my calls were
rejected.

Using this setup I can bring up a ppp connection with my provider.

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning: