Re: EeePc A1000H

On 25/10/2008, Havard Eidnes <he%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> > pchb0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x27ac (rev. 0x03)
>  >
>  > Intel Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub
>  >
>  > agp0 at pchb0: detected 7932k stolen memory
>  > agp0: aperture at 0xd0000000, size 0x10000000
>  > vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x27ae (rev. 0x03)
>  >
>  > This should be Intel Mobile 82945GME Video
>
>  This may have been overlooked, but recently (5 May 2008) PCIVERBOSE
>  was turned off in (among others) the i386 GENERIC kernel.  This causes
>  you to no longer get the text strings for the devices, but rather just
>  the IDs.
>
>  > wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
>  > wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
>  > drm at vga1 not configured
>  > vendor 0x8086 product 0x27a6 (miscellaneous display, revision 0x03) at
> pci0 dev 2 function 1 not configured
>  >
>  > Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML PCIE Graphics Controller
>
>  BTW, I see on the wiki that this "not configured" has been
>  interpreted as "video card not recognized by the kernel, so
>  there's no point in trying Xorg".  That is in fact wrong; the X
>  server does it's own video card probing and detection, and does
>  not depend (much) on actual NetBSD kernel support.  The exception
>  to that rule is probably dri/drm(?)

X can work just fine without drm on cards which have thier own memory.

However, it uses drm to steal more memory on intel cards (and probably
any shared memory cards).
As the stolen memory is reported just below 8M it is somewhat low, and
you might not be able to use the full resolution of the display (and
would have to set the Virtual to low enough size for X to start in
that case).

Even if you can use the built-in display X will likely fail to start
if you connect some plain 17" display to the VGA connector.

Thanks

Michal