Re: i386--netbsdelf-install: MAKEDEV: stat: No such file or directory

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008, Adam Hoka wrote:
> Im seeing the following breakage when  trying to build netbsd current as of
> yesterday night, or so. Am I missing something trivial? It's a clean build.

Please don't send an entire paragraph as a single line in an email
message; please keep lines shorter than 80 characters (preferably about
72 characters).

> i386--netbsdelf-install: MAKEDEV: stat: No such file or directory
> *** Failed target:  install-etc-files

You don't have a clean source tree.  You probably have an etc/MAKEDEV
file in your source directory from an earlier "make" command which
didn't use obj directories.  Now, when you run "make" with obj
directories, the part of the make rules that would create MAKEDEV see
that it already exists (in the source directory) so they don't create
it in teh obj directory, but the part of the make rules that want to
install MAKEDEV find that it does not exist in the obj directory.

--apb (Alan Barrett)