running kdem on native xorg installation

G'day,

I'm trying to get kdm windows manager to work on a system with "native xorg"
(not pkgsrc xorg-modules) installed. For this purpose, I blew away all
packages and rebuilt to ensure they are Xorg aware. I've also renamed X11R6
as to exclude it from the standard search path. I copied the example kdmrc
resource file into /usr/pkg/etc/kdm and modified rc.conf to enable kdm.

After reboot, the kdm login window comes up, but won't start kde after login.
No error message is displayed, just a couple of screen switches only to
return to the login screen.

kdm.log has this to say:
Mode 1920x1200 - 2208 1220 10
freq: 161630000
best_freq: 161625000
best_feedback_div: 431
best_ref_div: 12
best_post_div: 6
Set CRTC PLL success
Set CRTC Timing success
Not using RMX
scaler 0 setup success
Set CRTC 0 Source success
Output LVDS setup success
Output 23 enable success
Enable CRTC 0 success
Unblank CRTC 0 success
Output 68 disable success
Blank CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC 1 success
Output 23 disable success
Blank CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC 0 success
Blank CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC 1 success
Enable CRTC 0 success
Unblank CRTC 0 success
Output 23 enable success
QSettings: error creating /tmp/1313673748/.qt
QSettings: failed to open file '/tmp/1313673748/.qt/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
QSettings: error creating /tmp/1313673748/.qt
QSettings: failed to open file '/tmp/1313673748/.qt/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
Output 23 disable success
Blank CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC 0 success
Blank CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC 1 success
Enable CRTC 0 success
Unblank CRTC 0 success
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1;
fixing.

Has anyone seen this before and how did you fix this problem?

Also, does native Xorg support DRI? If so, how do I configure it? Do I still
need to install the pkgsrc driver?

Many thanks in advance,

cheerio Berndt