"current" pkg_install doesn't even build on -current yet?

The other day I started to port the "current" pkg_install code (from its
new canonical location in pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install) back to netbsd-4
in hopes of having the very latest possible version available on my
builds of netbsd-4.  (i.e. instead of just going part way with the
-current trunk version to meet the most minimal requirements of just
pkgsrc-2008Q2 -- I'm hoping to do at least a wee bit of future-proofing
for the systems I'll build with my netbsd-4 release and at the same time
lay down a path to make updating pkg_install easier the next time
around, if there is a next time around at least)

The latest pkg_install doesn't even build natively on netbsd-4 yet (or
even -current!), at least not without first adding a bunch of other new
stuff to the base system which seems to be required for even what I
would call "basic" functionality (i.e. the -DBOOTSTRAP variant which
might avoid needing this new stuff is useless to me).  It seems to need
both libarchive (which does appear to now be in -current, and it was
relatively easy to pull it over to my netbsd-4 tree), as well as
libfetch (which is not yet in -current).

So, what are the plans for porting the new pkg_install back to native
NetBSD?  Is this going to include making libfetch a first-class part of
NetBSD too?  Is there any time frame decided for when this should all
happen, or at least any idea where and how it fits into any bigger
project plan?

For now I think, just to be safe, I'll do my own import of libfetch into
my local netbsd-4 tree and hope that's something similar to the path the
official source will take too.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.