Re: panic! panic! panic! sigh.. panic!

Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 09:46:07PM +0200, Vincent wrote:
> > Since eons I've had "-msse2 -mfpmath=sse -march=pentium4" in my
> > /etc/mk.conf, resulting in my i386 kernel being built with those
> > options. I've never seen a crash likely caused by these superfluous
> > flags.
>
> But maybe it is the problem which stop the second CPU from spinning up
> on your Core 2 Duo CPU.
>
>       Kind regards
>
> P.S. "-march=pentium4" is wrong for a Core 2 Duo anyway. It is not a
>      Netburst CPU and therefore much more simular to a Pentium III
>      than to a Pentium 4.

I do not think GCC does some pentium4 optimisations, which are not supported
in Core 2 Duo. Anyway, I use the following options for Core 2 Duo:

makeoptions     CPUFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=nocona"

By the way, some of CPU specific optimisations are already used by the kernel
via patching, see sys/arch/x86/x86/patch.c, for example.

--
Best regards,
Mindaugas