Re: panic! panic! panic! sigh.. panic!

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 01:59:40PM -0400, Martin S. Weber wrote:
> I would expect the kernel to not *do* any FP stuff.

That is correct.

> I thought SSE(2) would not hurt as I thought it also enables the use
> of SIMD Integer operations along with the MMX registers ...

Yes, and these require code to handle them.

The kernel doesn't save any of these registers on entry into the kernel
(via an interrupt or system call) and doesn't restore them on exit. It
also doesn't save and restore them on internal scheduling. If you
compile the kernel with MMX or SSE<n> enabled the kernel will sooner
or later globber some state and you get a panic.

        Kind regards