Re: failed build package

Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen%roguewrt.org@localhost> writes:

>>   set X11_TYPE=modular
>>
>>   mark packages built with x11-links as 'rebuild' with pkg_admin (see
>>   pkg_rolling-replace man page examples section for the commands to do
>>   this)
>>
>>   start 'pkg_rolling-replace -uv'
>>
>>   when it fails with a conflict in libXfoo vs Xfoo or some such, use
>>   'make replace OLDNAME=oldpkg'.  Note that this will put your packages
>>   in an inconsistent state because the shlib major versions change.
>>
>>   restart pkg_rolling-replace -uv each time
>>

>> The second is harder, but leaves you with more functionality in the
>> intermediate time.  I've done it on several systems (netbsd 4 and
>> current, i386).
>
> Ouch. I've been lucky in that the only X requirement that I've had was
> due to rrdtool dependencies which triggered x11-links. Every time I've
> set modular in mk.conf and then make clean/install and everything's
> worked out.
>
> I guess the complexity begins when you already have in-tree X or have
> installed components without mk.conf set.

The presence of in-tree X is fine.  It's only when you have a program
that wants to link with pkgsrc xorg and also some library that is linked
with in-tree X, or the other way around.  This is the reason for
rebuilding all the packages built with X - it ensures that all X-using
packages are built using the same X11_TYPE setting.