Re: versioned files in DESTDIR breaking build

-u works very well when you have done a build, not updated, and then
made local changes.  I find that it usually works, and when it doesn't
the failure mode is mostly that there are stale files in DESTDIR (shlib
version bumps, removed files), and that cleaning them up is pretty easy.
I only complained about the kernel modules because it will be a
recurring problem.

But, your point that it is perhaps best avoided is valid.

I may add a rm -rf DESTDIR to my build script, to get -u behavior in
objdir where it saves a lot of time and not in DESTDIR where it doesn't
save time and causes trouble.