Re: versioned files in DESTDIR breaking build

Alistair Crooks wrote:
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 02:20:37PM +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:
When we move to 4.99.68, you'll have an old 4.99.67 directory that
will need cleaning.
Exactly, so I'm suggesting that the build procedure should be changed so
this doesn't happen.  Presumably all these files are getting added to
the obsolete sets list so poinstall fix can remove them; perhaps that
should be run on destdir.
The old modules are not fixed up by postinstall, and they
probably should not be either...

The tools infrastructure has logic to calculate whether the tools need
to be rebuilt or not, and (some of) that is based on __NetBSD_Version__,
so it should be possible to work out whether the modules are out of date.

Having used '-u' only a few times and having encountered problems each time, it'd be good if it worked a little more as advertised. Only when people have posted their problems here, I've find out that '-u' is generally an option to avoid, unless you know the possible complications.

It's easy enough to figure it out but initially it was a bit confusing.

Maybe it's use should be conditional with certain expected implications to avoid people having different expectations from it's use?

Just a thought, as I've not found the option of much use since I started building netbsd and I am regularly seeing "Are you using -u?!?" as a response to a failed build. There are obviously a few people this snags.

Or ... maybe it's just one of those things that will always be a little obscure :)

Sarton