should a 32bit kernel on MacBook Pro see keyboard at boot?

I cannot native-boot (bootcamp) my MacBook pro with a 32-bit kernel. Apart from the one initial keystroke to interrupt the boot sequence, it doesn't think it has a keyboard. Without a boot interrupt, something else causes it to hang. Cant meaningfully debug without keystrokes at this time.

The laptop does not have a traditional ps/2 keyboard. It attaches down a different device chain. (I'm not sure what, I can only run in Parallels which is of course a synthetic machine)

Can somebody offer me any clues? the wiki points to older architectures, the Macbook Pro core 2 duo does appear to be quite different to the other models.

-G