should i386 boot code be able to boot an amd64 kernel?

I tried to make my Macbook Pro parallels Bootcamp i386 partition run amd64 kernel.

it doesn't work: the boot logic says it can't see a valid file to boot into, and walks
the namespace of netbsd.gz type files to halt.

Parallels is 32 bit only. Therefore, if this is unavoidably true, without adding another GPT partition, You can't *have* a virtualized 64-bit NetBSD state on a MacBook Pro and also share its userspace with a 64bit world.

I don't want to send-pr if this is just "how it is"

-G