Re: sh -e changes broke pkgsrc

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:41:40PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:
 > > there's another unclear issue. In bin/32282, if I understand
 > > correctly, dsl@ says that -e failures inside a () subshell should
 > > cause the outside shell to exit also
 >
 > A subshell invocation is a command as any other.

So dsl is wrong? (I just want to be as clear as possible, since this
whole subject is extremely murky.)

 > So in the light of what was said before -- if the subshell
 > return status was caught by a "&&" or so, the outside
 > shell should not exit. Otherwise, it should.

Well, no, because a subshell isn't a simple command. The standard says
that only failing simple commands cause exits... the question is
whether the failure inside the subshell kills off only the subshell or
the entire caboodle. (Imagine for a moment that () wasn't implemented
by forking; I think that's the premise.)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost