Re: lsof

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:40:51PM -0400, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
> Meanwhile it's a very easy thing to do with a simple find command for the
> one or two files that might be really interesting to know about at any
> given time, once given the information fstat does show.

find requires iterating the whole filesystem to match up inodes.
lsof tries to reconstruct that data from the name cache. If the data is
present, it is relatively easy to do. For DragonFly we actually do that
for fstat by default, simply because it is cheap enough to do that and
almost always present.

Joerg