Odd slow-down issue

I have seen this four times now.  Once on a "server" (intel dual-core, no X11
running but it does have a built-in VGA, mostly unused) and three times on my
laptop.

Symptoms are things like "sleep 1" taking a variable number of
seconds.  "systat vmstat 1" will update once every 5-10 seconds or so.  On
the laptop, all disk I/O seems to stop, the cursor does not move but jumps,
and while the windows are responsive, the "focus under cursor" does not cause
the actual window highlight to change as it should.

Typing takes 3-5 seconds to appear, and then does so in batches.  Mistyping a
command means that window is dead.  Starting any application like "systat"
takes up to 30 seconds.

These systems have completely different SMP (laptop is 1-core, server is
2-core), graphics, network cards, etc.  The only commonality is that each is
running NetBSD, and SEEMS to be triggered by high CPU or disk load.  I cannot
recreate it on demand.

laptop:
NetBSD lapdog.flame.org 4.99.55 NetBSD 4.99.55 (GENERIC) #1: Tue Mar  4
15:57:40 UTC 2008
explorer%speedy.home.flame.org@localhost:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
i386

server:
NetBSD kechara.flame.org 4.99.38 NetBSD 4.99.38 (GENERIC.MP) #0: Wed Nov 28
00:57:29 UTC 2007
root@:/u1/os-build/i386/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP i386

So, this has been around for a while...

--Michael