Re: auich fifo underrun

        Hello.  This sounds like a problem I had with a Dell D400 laptop where
the ath(4) card and the auich(4) devices shared an interrupt.  In my case,
the problem was that the acpi code tried to redirect the interrupt the BIOS
assigned to these devices to another interrupt.  The symptom was that if I
tried to use both devices at once, the interrupt controller would
apparently freak out and stop passing interrupts to everything on that
particular interrupt.  I could get things going again by stopping the use
of the audio device, and ifconfigging the ath(4) device down and up again.
        The solution, which works well, but is somewhat controversial, is
documented in kern/37538.
        I don't know that this is the same problem, but it sounds identical,
and the symptoms, as you  have described them, seem the same.  You might
try the patches in that bug report, and see if the problems persist.
Alternatively, to see if it's the same problem, try booting a kernel
without ACPI and see how things behave.  If they work well, modulo the loss
of functionality you suffer without ACPI, it's probably a similar issue to
the bug, and you should try the patches in that bug.  If they fix the
problem, then we can decide how to best address the issue, which is
apparently larger than just on one older Dell laptop.
-Brian