Anyone tried an eSATA expresscard (successfully)?

I'm looking for options for how to increase myagregated disk bandwidth in a laptop. Well, for all purposes this is a server, except that I got a laptop instead as I need to bring it along when travelling. Downside to laptop-as-server today is a noticable absence of SATA extra ports or other high speed / cheap disk attachments.

USB or FW400 is of course available, but way slower than the built in SATA disk. And then I suddenly noticed that eSATA expresscard thingies are beginning to appear (Belkin has one, as does someone called "LYCOM" as well as "SUNIX"), and that ought to be excactly what I want.

Has anyone ever tried one of these? Is there any hope of this "just working" because we support a bunch of SATA controllers and the rest is just PCI-Express?

Regards,

Johan

PS. Yes, I know that I can get PC-Card SCSI solution, but that's much more expensive and also precludes host-powered operation (as I know of no 2.5 inch SCSI disks, regardless of price). And while SCSI might have been the only option a few years ago, eSATA really sounds like the right answer today.