Re: Some alpha problems in current

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

I finally got around to trying out a more current kernel on one my MP alphas, and have problems with hangs. I can't get tracebacks from the other CPU - most likely because it is spinning on a lock or mutex with interrupts disabled and the IPI to suspend it can not be processed. A couple of times the halted CPU appears to be in _kernel_lock(). The last one appears to be in mutex_vector_enter(), called from pmap_tlb_shootdown(). I have rev 1.231 of pmap.c.

  One other note:  a -current UP kernel seems to work fine.

I'm now trying a kernel where I've added a SPINLOCK_SPIN_HOOK in the places where sys/kern/mutex.c spins, and my MP kernel has been running for over 2 hours. I'm going to try a LOCKDEBUG kernel again after a while
to see if that's changed by the addition of the SPINLOCK_SPIN_HOOKs.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%NetBSD.org@localhost