Re: Some alpha problems in current

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 00:44:39 GMT, Andrew Doran wrote:

> > The following patch got me far enough that it hanged late in the boot while
> > starting local daemons.
>
> Can you get into the debugger? Can you get a backtrace, and what does ps/l
> show?

Unfortunately I have not found out how to get into ddb voluntarily. It seems
sending a break does not put me in ddb (or my terminal server is misconfigured)
The machine did not repond to pings, nor to keypresses like ^T

The last part of the boot messages:
Starting ntpd.
Starting rwhod.
FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please set 'visible_hostna

Then I gave up and rebooted it.

It seems it was trying to start squid, which unfortunately could not
determine its hostname and probably called abort().

[the name lookup problem was unrelated to this problem,
I have had that problem before during startup, starting it manually after boot
works]

With a uni-processor kernel i get the following:

FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please set
'visible_hostname'

Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE9): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.013 seconds = 0.008 user + 0.006 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 22
[1]   Abort trap (core dumped) /usr/local/sbin/...

I suspect the multi-processor kernel hanged before the whole message was
printed and that squid called abort

I do not have time for more tests tonight, but hopefully tomorrow.

-hjalmar