Subject: Driver Problem: cd0a non-media hardware error
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas T. Thai <tom@minnesota.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/2004 14:33:05
using -current on i386 PowerEdge 6450 with CDROM Teac CD-224E

A year ago I reported that I thought there were problems with the driver
to access the CD.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2004/05/13/0002.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2004/05/14/0008.html

-current is still showing the same problems.

The system can boot from the CDROM but when it goes to mount the CD to
unpack all the sets, it gives the error non-media hardware error as
specified in the above two links. I even went to the Utilities menu and
got to shell and try mounting it myself.. same error.

Today, I went back to 1.5.2 and repeated the steps. To my surprise I was
able to mount the CD and copy files from it. What ever changed from
1.5.2 to 1.6 (ie. 2.x as well) could have cause this bug.

I tested the exact same setup to install WinXP and FreeBSD 5.x and they
both read the CDROM just fine.

Regards,
Thomas