Subject: Re: Running -current.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/2003 18:29:43
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2003/05/20/0002.html

(Responding to leam's reply...)

Thanks for your perspective, especially on the "build.sh distribution" time.

I recently got around to setting up an NFS server with home directories
on it, so only /etc, maybe some /root, and a couple of tweaked files in
/usr/src have anything of real importance in them.

But if disaster strikes, I wasn't sure how best to recover.  (E.g., if
one day trying to build -current kills the system.)  I know that it is
a more likely danger (as compared with a release), and still recall the
recent debacle about the filesystem changes causing (or failing to fix?)
corruption.  If that kind of thing is rare enough, I can always just
wipe the disk and go back to a snapshot + CVS + build.sh to get back to
where I was.  But if the need to restore from backup while running
-current is frequent enough, maybe some way of building my own snapshots
(and stashing them on the NFS server) is a good idea to allow quicker
recovery.  How hard is that?

What did you mean by a "dual hard disk machine" being broke under 1.6?
Do you really mean that two hard disks do not work (at all?)?  I have
an old 20GB drive in my main system, but the 20GB drive is normally not
mounted.  (It's a Maxtor that has problems with seek performances.  I
intended to do something like a nighly, or weekly, mount of the disk and
copy backup archives to the Maxtor.  It should be fast enough for that,
though it is miserably slow for certain operations.  That's another
story though (see netbsd-users or -help, I think, going a ways back in
the archives).  The replacement is a Western Digital 40GB.  I haven't
had them both active at the same time for very long, but am *pretty*
sure that I've had them both up, under 1.6.

Thanks again.

P.S.: Please include me in the To: line of replies.  Otherwise I only
see the message when and if I click on the link on mail-index.netbsd.org.