Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6I first impressions
To: avon barksdale <avon@flatlet.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2002 17:06:17
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2002/10/26/0013.html

Although perhaps not relavent to Lars's situation (he said he noticed the
problem when switching to NetBSD from FreeBSD, on the same hardware), AGP
vs. PCI for the graphics card could also be an issue.

Also, the mplayer (at least) program *does* claim to support OpenGL as a
graphics medium for playback.  For that, wouldn't DRI help?

(It's not exactly clear to me what DRI involves.  But it isn't just a
segment of the GLX/OpenGL pipeline, is it?  I thought that it was a way to
expose the graphics hardware to libraries/applications for rendering
purposes.  The "sexiest" use of this is to expose 3D graphics hardware,
but unless it's just a 3D API, shouldn't it also at least in priciple be
usable for non-3D activities (including non-3D OpenGL)?)

Lastly, for the record, NetBSD 1.6 (for me) plays DVD's rather more
smoothely than did 1.5.  This may be due to having XFree86 4.x (by default
with XVideo (by default).  (Although another plus is that NetBSD 1.6
supports DMA with my controller/DVD-player...(^&  That helped some even
when the only part of 1.6 that I used was a kernel.)

I'm still using a PCI graphics card.  Unless my present card fails me,
I'll try to hold out for DRI (or for a time when I can afford to
contribute towards DRI support) before throwing more money at a newer
graphics card.  While it would probably help DVD movies some more to have
an AGP card, the *real* reason (for me) to think about such a card is for
faster 3D graphics, which means DRI, or similar.  (^&