Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6I first impressions
To: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
From: avon barksdale <avon@flatlet.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/2002 22:13:22
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:04:17AM +0100, Lars Nordlund wrote:
> No DRI support
>    I think this is the reason why movies are not played smoothly in
>    mplayer and ogle. Or perhaps it is something else.. A quick look says
>    that porting DRI from linux/freebsd is non trivial.. But it would be
>    fun to have. Another solution for smooth movies are nice -20 on the X
>    server. Or perhaps a faster computer.

Ogle & MPlayer don't use DRI.  It's definitely something else.  DRI only
helps for 3D programs (games like bzflag/glton or graphic applications
like blender).

FYI, the DRI code in FreeBSD is unmaintained now that Eric Anholt is the
x11 maintainer.  Yes, it is definitely non-trivial to port.

As far as recommending ways to increase speed...

- dmesg                 (Perhaps the DVD drive is not using DMA)
- xdpyinfo | grep XV    (Make sure the XVideo extension is enabled)
- color depth           (There's MMX code for 16 bit, but not 24)

- avon