Subject: Re: HEADS UP: fully dynamic linked system now the default
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/2002 12:24:38
[ On Monday, September 23, 2002 at 17:49:57 (+1000), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: fully dynamic linked system now the default
>
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 12:37:17AM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
>   | #     +	The kernel's "-a" bootloader option now also prompts for the
>   | # 	path to init(8), so "/rescue/init" can be used if /sbin/init
>   | # 	won't start due to an unexpected failure.
>   | Sun did this very early on with an -i flag; was this ever considered?
>
> I believe Solaris 2.x uses '-a' for all this type of info now.

Well, regardless, booting with something like "-i /rescue/init" to give
the one unique new bit of information needed for a special boot is one
heck of a lot less daunting for many people than having to answer
explicitly all the questions asked by '-a', even if the correct defaults
are given and they work as expected.

> In any case, the -a change was made a few weeks ago (along with most
> of the other infrastructure for this change); I'm surprised people
> didn't comment then... :)

I seem to remember someone doing so....

All I can find now though is this really old reference:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/1995/10/10/0005.html

--
								Greg A. Woods