Subject: Re: boot without init.
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Head Anarchy Conquest Knight Esquire of the Realm <greywolf@defender.vas.viewlogic.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/10/1995 10:23:31
Well, there is that, but I figure that in that case one would use -i -a
as args to /netbsd (the '-a' meaning "ask", the '-i' meaning "use alternate
init").

I guess I meant what I said, just didn't come out right:

Boot: /netbsd -i path_to_init

and have the kernel parse the args (the bootloader just has to pass the
args to the kernel).

Am I making sense at all?

[On a different tangent, I've thought of writing a sun-like boot monitor
 for the '386 which would provide some of the semantics of the sun PROM
 monitor and implement *that* as something of a 0'th level boot program,
 or have it supplant /boot entirely.  Something which one could interrupt
 and set/check system configs and such.  Probably more trouble than it's
 worth and likely ugly as well, but I think that the thought is not entirely
 out of place.]

#define AUTHOR "Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU (Chris G Demetriou)"

/*
 * actually, it would be even easier to give '-i" to the kernel, and have
 * the kernel as for init's name itself...
              ^^
[typo detected; assuming you meant 'ask'...]

 *
 *
 *
 * cgd
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU (Chris G Demetriou)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards
 -- it makes them soggy and hard to light."	-- unknown