Subject: Re: Installfest report (alpha/pmax/hp300)
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2000 11:40:05
}| > the miniroot dd'd on the disk, sysinst wouldn't admit that that disk
}| > was more than 2MB.  Since I'd set up rbootd for the 3rd install I
}| > decided to set up netbooting for the pmax.  I overwrote the miniroot
}| > so nothing would try to use the 2MB size, and we did the tftp boot.
}|
}| 	  Hmm maybe someone on port-pmax might have a comment on this?
}
}Tim Shepard and I noticed this on the alpha recently. The problem here is
}that the miniroot contains a disklabel, and the kernel reads this
}disklabel and presumes that it reflects the actual size of the disk.
}You can edit the disklabel with 'disklabel', but sysinst gets confused.
}
}This is not a problem if the miniroot boot device differs from the
}installation device, though.
}
}It probably needs a PR...

I complained about the same thing on alpha probably a year or more ago,
I suppose I should have send-pr'd it.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/1999/06/03/0000.html

I'm never sure if the problem is something I did wrong, or something
broken, so I prefer to run problems by the mailing lists before I send-pr.
I'm also never sure about the various paraments for severity and priority,
but I suppose I can let someone else change those.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu