Re: sysinst username length limit

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 12:37:31PM +0200, ignatios%cs.uni-bonn.de@localhost wrote:

> which is the only one supported by old YP code, in case you still
> have e.g. an sunos4 client in your network.

If you have a sunos 4 nis client then it probably won't like the > 8
character usernames either.  I recall setting up a sunos 4 network in
the early 90's and there definitely was a hard limit of 8 characters
back then.  I don't know if it ever changed because we adopted a user
naming scheme that truncated the usernames to 8 characters until well
after nis was gone from the network.

--
Brett Lymn
--