Re: sysinst username length limit

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 10:53:58AM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
> > The limit still exists if you use NIS to manage passwords.
>
> It does? My YP master says
>
> % awk -F: '{ if (length($1) > 8) { print $1 }}' < /etc/passwd | wc -l
>       18
> %
>
> The linux and freebsd clients seem to be fine with that.
>
> I don't use {passwd,group}_compat, though.

I don't know for sure, I don't use it myself.

IIRC you could always use longer names if they were unique within the first
8 chars.

Maybe it would be ok to ignore any such limits anyway since in setups where
they apply you would either know about it (you are the admin) or would get
your login assigned by the admin, so caring about it at the installer level
is not very helpful.

Martin