Subject: Re: Xsun and screen blanking
To: Bill Green <bill@supposedly.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2007 16:00:12
At Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:41:57 -0500,
Bill Green wrote:

> Xsun blanks my screen every 10 minutes or so regardless of whether
> there's been activity.  The behavior described in this message
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2005/11/04/0000.html
> would certainly explain it.  I don't see that that message ever got a
> response.

Whew!  I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem!

For some reason I didn't find/remember that post from John Baker you
reference above.

My screen also unblanks itself frequently and stays unblanked overnight
without any mouse of keyboard input, so it seems to exactly match John's
description.

My posts were, approx.:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2006/11/14/0001.html
	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2006/11/15/0000.html
	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2006/12/02/0000.html
	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2006/12/06/0001.html

Some things that have been working since those posts are cut&paste
between xterm and emacs; and keyboard focus following the mouse.

At some point after I made the last post I ran into some kind of file
descriptor leak in the Xserver ("too many clients") and had to reboot.

I'm guessing something was frobbed in both the kernel and XsunMono
during my initial attempts and that restarting X didn't fix everything.

Since that reboot in early February, and since a subsequent power-fail
reboot, cut&paste works fine and most of the window manager and keyboard
focus interactions work properly again (though there's still a major
delay for keyboard focus following the mouse after I switch workspaces).

(Now though the getty on /dev/console fails once X (and xconsole) starts
and I can't seem to get it to just hang and wait for X to finish, so I
keep getting the "getty repeating too quickly" noise.  That used to work
just fine before I upgraded to the 1.6.2_STABLE kernel I'm running now.)

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>