Subject: Re: some notes about XFree86-4.5.0 on NetBSD/sparc
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/15/2006 02:09:36
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Nov_15_02:09:19_2006-1

At Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:17:44 -0500,
Michael Lorenz wrote:
>=20
> On what kind of graphics hardware?

I thought that would be obvious from the xdpyinfo output.  :-)

It's a bwtwo(4) of course.  Do you know of any other sparc-compatible
framebuffers that do 1600x1280 with a depth of 1?

> First - which Xserver did you run, XFree86 or Xsun?

XsunMono actually.  I didn't change my xdm config when I booted.  I
expected everything to at least work as well as it used to work, if not
better.

> XFree86 comes with -current but the X symlink points to Xsun. And=20
> XFree86 requires wscons which requires you to build a kernel that=20
> supports it and currently there's only wsdisplay support for CG6 and=20
> Weitek P9100 - both with full acceleration though.

That'd be totally useless to me then.  No CG6 board is getting anywhere
near this machine, and it wouldn't drive this monitor anyway. :-)
I won't be giving up this monitor until I can afford an even higher
resolution LCD that is also least as stable (flicker free) and high-res
as this one, and preferably one with long-life LED backlights too.  At
that point I'll probably give up caring about anything sparc-related. :-)

I think I forgot to mention that autorepeat didn't work at all until I
did an "xset r", then suddenly it worked, slowly.

The mystery with swisswatch now deepens.  I just tried a binary built on
a NetBSD/i386-3.x (netbsd-3 branch, not too long ago) machine (complete
with the xsrc netbsd-3 branch too), and it just displays a white circle
on my NCD HMXpro terminal too, so at least that's not related to
XsunMono.  That makes me wonder what else could be broken in XFree86.

> > 	$ xclock -digital
> > 	Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
> > 	Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display "very.weird.com:0.0".
> > 	Warning: Cannot convert string "" to type XftFont
> > 	Memory access violation (core dumped)
>=20
> What on earth /did/ you try? We have working XFree86 /for sparc/ in=20
> xsrc.

Hmmm.... that fontconfig thing finally rang a bell for me.  This is a
diskless workstation and I wasn't quite so dilligent about updating it's
/etc as I probably should have been.  After copying across /etc/fonts/*
I a clock window, with a really horrid looking font, but still of course
the warning about RENDER:

	$ xclock -digital
	Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display "very.weird.com:0.0".

and of course it complains about RENDER on the NCD HMXpro too....

Gak -- I still have machines with versions of xclock that barf on the
"-norender" option too.  So much for a portable and simple .xinitrc! :-)
(that's funny because if you saw mine you wouldn't call it simple!)

I suppose I'll also need /etc/fontconfig/* for the addon stuff from
pkgsrc that wasn't smart enough to use the system-supplied fontconfig
libraries.  Grrr...  I hate XML.  Sure makes xclock slow to start up!

> > (and how do I over-ride  CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to make that traditional=20
> > key
> > sequence work???  I can't find an example of expressing two modifiers.)
>=20
> You don't have to. It Just Works(tm), at least if run properly.

Hmmm...  well it certainly doesn't on this machine, not even from
xdm/xlogin.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>