Re: boot partition (Was: install on PowerBook - no root partition defined)

On Wed, Oct 04, 2023 at 14:57:15 +0000, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/rwd0'
> >  #:                type name      length   base      ( size )
> >  1: Apple_partition_map Apple         63 @ 1
> >  2:           Apple_HFS boot       20480 @ 64        ( 10.0M)
> >  3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap     1048576 @ 20544     (512.0M) S1  SFS k0  (swap)
> >  4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root   116141120 @ 1069120   ( 55.4G) S0 RUFS k0  /
>
> I tried almost the same setup, except for boot being FAT and not HFS.
> But how to format it?
>
> I rebooted with the 10.4 install CD. I used the command line to
> format it as msdos, since diskutility only allows it as HFS (or it
> remakes the whole disk label).
>
> I wonder that I cannot list (dir hd:0,\) in OF... but it is empty.
> How knows.

I don't remember the details, but iirc you cannot convince OFW to
recognize FAT partition on a disk that has apple pmap.  Or may be you
need some arcane knowledge...  But since Apple's OFW is mostly
stripped, you cannot "see".  The disk must be plain, boring MBR.  Make
sure there are no residual traces of pmap.

IMO, if you don't need to dual-boot with MacOSX and your OFW
recognizes MBR/FAT, just stay away from pmap/HFS.

-uwe