Port-m68k archive

Re: A few issues while playing with virt68k

> On Mar 16, 2024, at 1:56 PM, John Klos <john%klos.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> (Disklabels definitely work.)
>
> Because I couldn't bootstrap a big endian disk image on a little endian machine, I used aarch64eb. Apparently disklabels aren't compatible between aarch64eb and m68k :(

BSD disk labels are basically not cross-platform compatible.  I just boot the kernel and specify the install root Ramdisk using the -initrd option (or whatever it's called).  I suppose I should write up install notes :-)

> But I needed to boot virt68k to use virt68k... Now that I have a booting
> virt68k, a "disklabel -D" followed by a "disklabel -I -i" works.
>
> Now that I have good disklabels, booting with -append "root=ld0a" goes multiuser on its own :)
>
> Next is to figure out networking issues. pkgsrc fetching distfiles often gives plenty of these:
>
> [ 224.9800030] vioif0: discarding oversize frame (len=1518)
> [ 224.9800030] vioif0: discarding oversize frame (len=1518)
> [ 227.9700030] vioif0: discarding oversize frame (len=1518)
>
> Networking is configured using a tap bridged to the host's ethernet (rge).

My host uses “wm” and I don’t see those, so I guess it’s an “rge” thing.

> Communicating to distcc on a machine on the same network gives occasional errors and hangups, but communicating to distcc on the host machine does not. Fetching distfiles works much of the time, but hangs now and then.
>
> Sigh. This is a separate issue that has to do with rge buggines. I added an re ethernet card and tested using that, and all the networking problems went away :P
>
> Yay for working virt68k! Amazing work, Jason :)

Oh great!  Let’s build some packages!! :-)

-- thorpej