Re: RPi 4b Wifi Device

I run an RPi 4B/8G with external USB SSD drive; I do this because my uSD cards were getting worn out after about a year of use; I've had no such problems with my Samsung 870 EVO nor Samsung SSD T7.

I use the built-in GigE adaptor on the RPi 4B, because it's convenient as I have wired ethernet most places.   So I can't help with WiFi.

I have been running an RPi 3 from a Lexar 64B Thumb Drive since June 2019 - no problem there, either.

-Mike

-Mike

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 2:04 PM Thomas D. Dean <tomdean%wavecable.com@localhost> wrote:
On 4/20/24 13:16, Michael van Elst wrote:
> tomdean%wavecable.com@localhost ("Thomas D. Dean") writes:
>
>> # wpa_cli status
>> Selected interface 'bwfm0'
>> 21:58:44.815: bssid=60:38:e0:db:a9:7a
>> freq=0
>> ssid=tddhome
>> id=0
>> mode=station
>> pairwise_cipher=TKIP
>> group_cipher=TKIP
>> key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>> wpa_state=GROUP_HANDSHAKE
>> ip_address=169.254.135.120
>> address=e4:5f:01:da:eb:46
>
>> I don't understand where the inet 169.254.135.120 comes from. The router
>> pool is 192.168.1.xxx.
>
> 169.254.x.x is a "link local" address. dhcpcd falls back to such an
> address, if it doesn't get an answer from a dhcp server. Apparently
> wpa_supplicant cannot connect to the network.
>
>> wpa_state=GROUP_HANDSHAKE
>
> says that it still tries to associate. When it's done this would
> change to COMPLETED.

I have two RPi 4b's. One with NetBSD 10 on an SD card and the other with
RPi OS on a USB flash drive. (I can not get NetBSD to boot from a flash
drive)

As far as I can tell the network configurations are the same for WIFI on
both. I see comments on the web about NetBSD 10 problems with the bwfm
device.

I need WIFI. So, I go back to RPi OS.

Thanks for all the replies.

Tom Dean