re: Nouveau driver on nvidia 8500GT (amd64)

Taylor R Campbell writes:
>    Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 06:46:08 +1100
>    from: matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost>
>
>    thanks.  this works for me now.  except the wsdisplay is broken:
>
>    drm kern info: nouveau  [  PGRAPH][nouveau0] using external firmware
>    firmware_open(nouveau/nv117_fuc409c) called too early.
>    firmware_open(nouveau/fuc409c) called too early.
>
>    which fortunately doesn't panic for my serial console.  next
>    step is to use config_mountroot() here like radeon, and the
>    non PCI nouveau.
>
> Cool!  This should be easy to adapt from radeon.  Getting it to attach
> vga instead if there's no firmware may be a little trickier...  I'm
> still sitting on a kludgey patch to try to do this (vga0 at radeon0 at
> pci0) but lack the time to make it work.

yeah - i already commited the config_mountroot() change.  but then
i discovered that the firmware file i'm looking for appears to require
tracing the load of the binary nvidia driver to extract... so my next
step will be go put the older card i have in and see what happens as
it is implied that older cards do not *need* firmware.

  http://people.freedesktop.org/~mslusarz/nouveau-wiki-dump/NVC0_Firmware.html

.mrg.