RE: NetBSD 6.0_BETA - Running Xorg causes a reboot

> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:10:11 +0200
> From: netbsd%lists.veego.de@localhost
> To: tech-x11%NetBSD.org@localhost
> Subject: Re: NetBSD 6.0_BETA - Running Xorg causes a reboot
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 02:57:06AM +0100, Phillip Spring wrote:
> > > Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 07:29:30 +0100
> > > From: netbsd%lists.veego.de@localhost
> > > To: tech-x11%NetBSD.org@localhost
> > > Subject: Re: NetBSD 6.0_BETA - Running Xorg causes a reboot

> > sets to go.
> > just tryed to run the X11.
> > and the PC reboots, doing POST as well.
> > >
> > > You should tell us a little bit more about the video card hardware
> > > which you try to use.
> > > And include the xorg.conf file too.
> > >
> > > I guess there is no panic string in the dmesg log?
> > >
> > > Bernd
> > >

> > Funny results,
> >
> > First, excuse me for two things:
> > 1? Not giving hardware details previously.
> > 2? Sending too many commands to majordomo - this was my first subscribe.
> >
> > System:
> > Intel P4 650 EM64T
> > ASUS P5P800-MX
> >
> > Video Card:
> > AGP Radeon HD 3850 RV670 vendor 0x1002 device 0x9505
>
> That card is maybe too new for our old radeon driver.
>
> > AGP Port:
> > SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge) vendor 0x1039 device 0x0003
> >
> > Onboard Video:
> > SiS 661FX/M661FX/M661MX Host vendor 0x1039 device 0x0661
> >
> > So... Xorg works disabing the AGP video card and using the onboard one.
> > Running `Xorg -configure`, a different message says: "Screen found, but
none
> > have a usable configuration.".
> >
> > The xorg.conf.new files, whatever using "radeon" or "sis" driver, are
> > basically the simplest acceptable configuration to run Xorg. In short,
all
> > basic sections are there: ServerLayout, Files, Modules, Inputdevice,
Monitor,
> > Device and Screen. The same basic settings works fine for me everytime,
> > nevertheless using a Linux or a BSD to run Xorg.
>
> The Xserver doesn't really a config file these days, but it should work
> with the generated one.
>
> > That is, executing `Xorg -config xorg.conf.new` using the "sis" driver,
Xorg
> > starts with minimum warnings and no errors.
> > ** And after realizing that making a bonfire with the video card would not
be
> > a good idea. **
> > Well! Let's talk about how can I create fine log filled up with all
enough
> > content to help everybody around here!
> >
> > Indeed, there were no panic messages, maybe because the default
syslog.conf
> > does not satisfy this need.
>
> You may have the panic message in the output from the kernel messages which
you
> can get by running /sbin/dmesg
>
> But I suspect you will not see anything because the xserver writes directly
> into the memory and if something goes wrong you get the result which you
got.

> > Also, booting the 6.0_BETA kernel with the "-vx" parameters (verbose and
debug
> > messages) could be a good idea.
> > Finally, running Xorg with a high "-verbose [n]" and redirecting the
error
> > output (using "2>") to a file, may help.
> >
> > And...? Did I forgot something? Any more ideas to retrieve data
information?

> Do you have the drm driver enabled?
> Sorry I can not look into my kernel config at home right now to tell you
which
> option you have to enable while building a new kernel.
>
> Bernd

Before I start building the current kernel or latest X-related sources, to
avoid the same failed results I got before, I may have to test my video card
(not too new one, and not too old either. in my opinion, it willl become
useless if couldn't support GTA5 :) with other environments, using different
drivers.

That's because I noticed a issue related to hardware failure after using the
fglrx driver into the radeonhd man page. I already know the reason why
radeonhd driver doesn't work for me: Because   the drm kernel module had no
support for my SiS chipset until 6.0 was released with fixed sources.

I'm going to test FreeBSD 9.0 to see  the results using the  radeonhd driver,
and then other linuxes. Screw the ATI driver for Windows for a while.

Phillip.