Re: NetBSD 6.0_BETA - Running Xorg causes a reboot

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 02:57:06AM +0100, Phillip Spring wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 07:29:30 +0100
> > From: netbsd%lists.veego.de@localhost
> > To: tech-x11%NetBSD.org@localhost
> > Subject: Re: NetBSD 6.0_BETA - Running Xorg causes a reboot
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:45:22AM +0100, Phillip Spring wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I installed a NetBSD 6.0_BETA from an iso with a fine CKSUM, selecting all
> sets to go.
> > > After finishing the setup and rebooting the PC, I logged in as root and
> just tryed to run the X11.
> > > Unfortunatelly the system seems to crash, because the screen simple blanks
> and the PC reboots, doing POST as well.
> >
> > You should tell us a little bit more about the video card hardware
> > which you try to use.
> > And include the xorg.conf file too.
> >
> > I guess there is no panic string in the dmesg log?
> >
> > Bernd
> >

> Funny results,
>
> First, excuse me for two things:
> 1? Not giving hardware details previously.
> 2? Sending too many commands to majordomo - this was my first subscribe.
>
> System:
> Intel P4 650 EM64T
> ASUS P5P800-MX
>
> Video Card:
> AGP Radeon HD 3850 RV670 vendor 0x1002 device 0x9505

That card is maybe too new for our old radeon driver.

> AGP Port:
> SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge) vendor 0x1039 device 0x0003
>
> Onboard Video:
> SiS 661FX/M661FX/M661MX Host vendor 0x1039 device 0x0661
>
> So... Xorg works disabing the AGP video card and using the onboard one.
> Running `Xorg -configure`, a different message says: "Screen found, but none
> have a usable configuration.".
>
> The xorg.conf.new files, whatever using "radeon" or "sis" driver, are
> basically the simplest acceptable configuration to run Xorg. In short, all
> basic sections are there: ServerLayout, Files, Modules, Inputdevice, Monitor,
> Device and Screen. The same basic settings works fine for me everytime,
> nevertheless using a Linux or a BSD to run Xorg.

The Xserver doesn't really a config file these days, but it should work
with the generated one.

> That is, executing `Xorg -config xorg.conf.new` using the "sis" driver, Xorg
> starts with minimum warnings and no errors.
> ** And after realizing that making a bonfire with the video card would not be
> a good idea. **
> Well! Let's talk about how can I create fine log filled up with all enough
> content to help everybody around here!
>
> Indeed, there were no panic messages, maybe because the default syslog.conf
> does not satisfy this need.

You may have the panic message in the output from the kernel messages which you
can get by running /sbin/dmesg

But I suspect you will not see anything because the xserver writes directly
into the memory and if something goes wrong you get the result which you got.

> Also, booting the 6.0_BETA kernel with the "-vx" parameters (verbose and debug
> messages) could be a good idea.
> Finally, running Xorg with a high "-verbose [n]" and redirecting the error
> output (using "2>") to a file, may help.
>
> And...? Did I forgot something? Any more ideas to retrieve data information?

Do you have the drm driver enabled?
Sorry I can not look into my kernel config at home right now to tell you which
option you have to enable while building a new kernel.

Bernd